Skip to page content Skip to page menu Skip to page footer
Skip to page content Skip to page menu Skip to page footer Accessibility and access key information Home page Search Site map Employee directory Email the webmaster About MacMurray College Admission Academics Athletics Student/campus life Resources Alumni Giving
Search Menu

Residence Life Frequently Asked Questions

Show all answers.

Q: Why should I live on campus?

A: Students who live on campus are at a great advantage. On-campus students are more likely to make faculty, staff, and student contacts; join organizations; and develop study groups. Students learn life skills that will benefit them in the future. They learn people skills, tolerance, the art of compromise, appreciation of differences, and they build friendships that will last a lifetime.

MacMurray values the residence hall living experience so much that they require students to live on campus until they are 21 or have 90 credit hours (senior status). Exceptions to this policy are for those students who live with their parents within what is considered a drivable distance, are married, have children, or live and work at ISD (Illinois School for the Deaf) and ISVI (Illinois School for the Visually Impaired).

Q: How do you assign rooms?

A: Returning students request rooms in the spring semester. Housing assignment for new students begins on July 1. At that time, students are matched up with roommates based on preferences indicated on the housing form, interests, and hall preference. Students requesting a specific roommate may do so by indicating this on their housing form. Please keep in mind that the request must be mutual. After a roommate has been assigned, both students will be assigned to a room. Room assignments are made on a first come, first served basis. Some halls fill up quickly, so apply early! Housing staff will try to accommodate each student's first or second choice of residence hall, but sometimes this isn't always possible.

Once roommate and room assignments are made, a packet will go out via email to the students giving them all the information they will need to live on campus. It will include a roommate's name, email address, and room information. If at that time there are still questions, students are encouraged to call the Housing Office at 217-479-7123.

Q. Is there an age limit for living in the residence halls?

A: The MacMurray College housing facilities are intended for the traditional student age 18-25. If you are a new or readmitted student who is older than 25, you must appeal in writing to the Dean of Student Life to be considered for MacMurray College housing.

Q: What if I need an air-conditioned room?

A: MacMurray has a few rooms in each hall which are equipped with air conditioning. Students who require air conditioning must provide a doctor's note indicating the medical need and pay an additional air conditioner fee per year (check current fees). Once all required needs are met, students who wish for air conditioning may apply for it on a first come, first served basis. Information on that process will be sent to students through their email.

Q: What if I need other special housing accommodations?

A: The housing officers will do their best to meet everyone's housing needs. Please keep in mind, however, that we cannot guarantee that every student will be accommodated due to space and resources. Students should indicate their special needs on the housing form so that housing staff is fully aware prior to making a housing assignment. If you have a disability accommodation request, it should be noted on your housing form and the housing staff will work with disability services to make sure all paperwork is submitted and that your accommodation is met.

Q: May I have a single room?

A: Single rooms are available for an additional fee per semester (check current fees). However, due to space constraints, single rooms are limited and usually not available to new students.

Q: May I bring furniture or decorate my room any way I please?

A: We encourage each student to personalize his/her room; however, certain restrictions apply. No college furniture (including beds, frames, and mattresses) may be removed from the room. In addition, students are responsible for any damage which occurs to the walls and furniture inside their rooms. Therefore, care should be taken when hanging items on the walls. Decorating which can be removed or undone by the student at the end of the year is encouraged. Students are not allowed to paint their residence hall rooms.

Q: What is the size of the bed?

A: All beds in the residence halls are twin size extra long.

Q: Will I have telephone service in my room?

A: No. Students must use a cell phone to make local or long-distance calls.

Q: Is there cable in my room?

A: There is digital cable in each room provided as part of your residence hall package. More information on the cable system is available courtesy of the Office of Information Technology.

Q: Are there internet hook-ups?

A: All rooms have internet access through the school's internet lines. Students must provide their own computer, including an ethernet cord. All residence halls also have wireless internet access.

Q: Where can I do my laundry?

A: Each residence hall is equipped with laundry facilities. These machines use quarters for payment so it's a good idea to bring a roll of quarters to campus with you.

Q: Can I have a car on campus? Where can I park?

A: Any student may have a car on campus. Students must register their car and purchase a parking sticker in the Office of Student Life. Parking stickers are $50 per semester. Parking areas are located on the campus map.

Q: What should I bring?

A: Students should bring those items that will help them to feel at home, comfortable, and ready to learn. Students may want to make arrangements with their roommate to avoid duplications and to decide who will bring what. Some suggestions include:

  • laundry and cleaning supplies;
  • small waste can;
  • hangers;
  • toiletries and a small bucket to carry them in;
  • alarm clock;
  • towels;
  • bedding (mattress cover, sheets, pillows, etc.);
  • address book and addresses;
  • basic medications and prescribed medications;
  • plants;
  • iron;
  • throw rugs or carpet;
  • radio/stereo;
  • TV/DVD player;
  • dishes;
  • lamp;
  • fan;
  • computer;
  • extension cords (14 gauge);
  • message board;
  • games;
  • banking items;
  • camera;
  • recreation equipment;
  • cell phone;
  • tools;
  • stationary;
  • pictures.

MacMurray College does not allow waterbeds, high-wattage microwaves, fireworks, or any weapons. In addition, candles, incense, and burner (open coil) plates are not permitted. No pets are allowed in the residence halls either. Residents are allowed to have fish in a ten gallon or smaller tank only.

Q: What is furnished in my room?

A: Residence hall double rooms are equipped with two loftable/bunk beds, two dressers, two desks and chairs, mirrors and closets for two, and internet access in all halls. There are screens and blinds for all windows; some students may also wish to hang curtains. In Jane Hall and Rutledge Hall, the shared bathrooms contain a sink, shower, toilet, and medicine cabinet with mirror.

Q: Who will clean my room?

A: Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. Students living in suite-style dorms (Jane and Rutledge) are responsible for cleaning their bathrooms. Custodians clean the public areas of each hall. Students are responsible for cleaning the stove and sinks in the kitchen areas (where applicable). Students are required to take all room/student trash outside and place it in the dumpster nearest to their building. Leaving trash in the hallways or common spaces is not acceptable.

Q: May I change my room assignment?

A: Yes. During each semester, there is a specific time period set aside for free room changes. After that, each student must pay $100 to change rooms. Students may request a room change by completing a room change request form available in the Office of Residence Life. Room changes are granted if space is available.

Q: What is consolidation?

A: Students who live in the halls without a roommate may be subject to consolidation. Often students are living without a roommate because their roommate moved out or they may not have been assigned a roommate in the beginning. To be fair to those students who pay for a single room, we may consolidate those students who are not.

Students living without a roommate will be required to do one of the following:

  • pay for a single room if space is available;
  • find their own roommate from among friends or the list of people needing roommates;
  • move rooms at the discretion of the housing staff;
  • be assigned a roommate (who is also living alone).

Students are asked to move based on seniority by class. If students are unwilling to cooperate, they will be billed for a single room and/or face disciplinary action.

Q: Will residence halls remain open during breaks?

A: Residence halls may remain open during breaks for qualifying students. However, the safest measure is to plan early for travel arrangements! Residence hall calendars are published prior to each academic year to allow sufficient time for students to make travel arrangements for breaks.

Q: What kind of security does MacMurray offer?

A: Security officers are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Security officers can provide student escorts for those who do not wish to walk alone. Residence hall entrances are locked 24 hours per day. Students should keep their rooms deadbolt locked at all times and make sure all exterior doors of their building are properly closed behind them when they enter or exit the building. Propping outside doors to residence halls compromises the safety of others. Students caught propping doors are in violation of MacMurray College policy and subject to disciplinary action and fines. If other issues of security arise, students are encouraged to contact the Student Life Office, Resident Assistants (RAs), Resident Directors (RDs), or security staff.

Q: What is a Resident Assistant?

A: Resident Assistants are upper-class students assigned to a residence hall floor. RAs are responsible for building community on their floor and in the building by scheduling social and educational programming, assisting in conflict resolution between students, being peer counselors, advising students about services on campus, and serving as a referral source in disciplinary or crisis situations. RAs are the first link between students and the administration and staff.

Q: What do I do if there is an issue in my room?

A: If there is a facilities issue in your room, you should let your RA know and they can submit a request to have the issue resolved from the facilities office. If it is during normal business hours (Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) you may bring your issue to the Student Life Office and they can submit a request for you also.

Q: Can I bring a microwave or mini-fridge?

A: If you wish to bring a microwave or mini-fridge you are welcome to do so, but individually or together, the items must not use an excess of 11 amps. If you would like to rent a microfridge contact the Office of Student Life. The cost is approximately $60 per semester. This cost can be split between roommates if they both sign up for a unit.

Q: What are my meal plan options?

A: The current meal plan options are listed below.

  • Meal Plan A: 225 meals per semester plus $75 Flex Dollars
  • Meal Plan B: 200 meals per semester plus $150 Flex Dollars
  • Meal Plan C: 175 meals per semester plus $225 Flex Dollars
  • Meal Plan D: 14 meals per week plus $125 Flex Dollars

All meal plans cost the same amount. The difference is the number of meals and flex dollars in each plan. Each residential student is automatically assigned to meal plan B. If a student wishes to change their meal plan they must do so before the end of the second week of the semester by contacting One-Stop Student Services with what meal plan they wish to have for that semester. Students have to request a meal plan change each semester to ensure they have a meal plan different than plan B. Meal plan accommodations are arranged through the Office of Disability Services, Residence Life, and Dining Services.

Q: What is the approximate size of each room and is there carpet?

A: The rooms down campus (Kendall and Norris Halls) offer rooms that are approximately the same size. The rooms up campus (Jane and Rutledge Halls) vary greatly and so the size listed here is an estimate only. Jane is the only hall with carpet in student rooms.

  • Kendall Hall: 13' by 12'5''
  • Norris Hall: 13' by 12'5''
  • Jane Hall: 11'7'' by 14'
  • Rutledge Hall: 11'7'' by 14'5''

Q: Where is my mail sent?

A: Each student is assigned a mailbox in the Gamble Campus Center. The mailing address is

Student Name
PO Box Number
447 East College Avenue
Jacksonville, IL 62650

Q: Can I have guests and are there visitation hours?

A: There are no set visitation hours for the residence halls; however, a student should escort all guests of the residence halls at all times and must register overnight guests with the RA on duty between 8 p.m. - 12 a.m. each night. If someone arrives after this time they must be preregistered as a guest. Guests are prohibited from staying overnight more than six nights per month, with no more than two of those nights being consecutive.