Skip to page content Skip to page menu Skip to page footer
Skip to page content Skip to page menu Skip to page footer Accessibility and access key information Home page Search Site map Employee directory Email the webmaster About MacMurray College Admission Academics Athletics Student/campus life Resources Alumni Giving
Search Menu

Student Registration, Transfer, and Withdrawal


Registration is defined as the acceptance of the completed official registration by One-Stop Student Services. Late registration requires the permission of One-Stop Student Services or the Provost of the College.

Changes in a schedule following registration day should be initiated in One-Stop Student Services and require approval of the faculty members involved and the student's advisor. Students continue in each course for which they are registered until formal approval for a change is granted.

Adding Courses

Courses may be added to students' programs during the first five days of the academic session. Students need to contact One-Stop Student Services or the Office of Online Programs to get the proper documentation. After the first five days, courses may be added only with the special approval of the Academic Standards Committee.

Dropping Courses

Courses may be dropped from students' schedules without leaving a record on the official transcript until the fifth day of the academic session. Students obtain the signature of the course instructor and the faculty advisor on the Add/Drop form available from One-Stop Student Services.

Withdrawing from Courses

Students can withdraw from a course with a record on the official transcript after the seven-day drop period up to the conclusion of Week 4 of an online session. To withdraw, the student must contact One-Stop Student Services or the Office of Online Programs via email to begin the process. One-Stop Student Services and the Office of Online Programs will prepare the form and obtain the signature of the course instructor and faculty advisor.

The instructor will indicate one of three grades on the form: W for withdrawal, WP for withdrawal while passing, or WF for withdrawal while failing. The grade and the course will be listed on the student's permanent transcript. The grade will have no effect on the student's grade point average, but it may affect a student's future financial aid.

Withdrawing from the College

A student wishing to withdraw from the College must initiate the withdrawal procedure in One-Stop Student Services. The student must file official withdrawal forms in order that housing and financial aid records may be brought up to date and the academic record cleared. A student withdrawing without notification is not in good standing.

The College also reserves the right to enforce the withdrawal of any student if, in the judgment of the appropriate administrator or disciplinary body or the Academic Standards Committee, it is in the best interest of the College. The College may take such action without making any charges of misconduct. A student may be dismissed for non-attendance, poor academic work, or for conduct that is contrary to College standards. The judgment of the officers of the College is final in such cases.

Transfer Hours

As part of the admission process, students transferring to MacMurray must provide an official transcript of credit from each college previously attended, to be sent directly to the Office of Admissions. One-Stop Student Services evaluates the transcripts and sends the applicant a report of credits accepted.

It is the policy of MacMurray College to make the transfer into MacMurray as seamless as possible. As such, MacMurray follows the guidelines established by the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) which states the following: "that all colleges and universities participating in the IAI agree to accept a 'package' of IAI general education courses in lieu of their own comparable lower-division general education requirements." Students who earn an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree from an accredited Illinois two-year college will be granted 60 transfer credits (junior standing) at MacMurray and will have the general education requirements considered fulfilled with the exception of any specific MacMurray-required general education courses or experiential learning courses which cannot reasonably be construed to have been met at the two-year level.

After a student attains junior standing (60 hours) at MacMurray, further courses at two-year colleges will not earn credit hours towards MacMurray graduation except with permission of One-Stop Student Services but may continue to satisfy specific course requirements.

Any number of credits may be accepted from any regionally accredited four-year college or university. This could be in addition to the 60 earned from a two-year college.

Residency requirements state that in order to receive a MacMurray bachelor's degree no less than 30 credits must be earned at MacMurray. No less than 16 credits must be earned at MacMurray in order to receive a MacMurray associate's degree. Exceptions must be submitted to One-Stop Student Services.

With the exception of the IAI package transfer, all individual courses transferred into MacMurray must have earned a minimum letter grade of a C or better at any regionally accredited college or university.

Remedial and activity classes are not eligible for transfer but will be accepted as fulfilling any prerequisite requirement for a MacMurray course.

Grades at other colleges are not counted in calculating the grade point average at MacMurray except in the case of college honors at graduation.

Transfer Credits after Entering

After entering MacMurray, students who wish to earn transfer credit at other institutions must fill out in advance a Request for Permission to Enroll in an Off-Campus Course form, available at One-Stop Student Services. If permission is granted, the student is responsible for seeing to it that MacMurray is provided with an official transcript from the other institution.