Everyone is in sales: from persuading your friends to go to your favorite movie to convincing someone to let you play first string on your athletics team to getting someone to buy your left-handed, neon pink eggbeater on eBay, you engage in marketing as an amateur. However, the professional skills can be learned and used widely in areas that are not considered as sales: any time you must persuade someone, that's sales and marketing.
As a Marketing major, you will be exposed to the principles of marketing and the field's best practices to design campaigns that encompass traditional and new media platforms. With a solid grounding in business, including courses in accounting, economics, business law, and management to prepare you for your long-term success, you'll apply the theory in those areas to specific marketing problems.
You'll receive instruction in marketing research, consumer behavior, advertising, and the use of social media, providing you with a wide base of practical knowledge to prepare you for your first professional position. Professional work experience is a large part of the professional preparation in a MacMurray education, so students have internships at area businesses or at the state or national levels.
Upon graduation, you can find yourself ready for a wide variety of career options, including work at advertising or public relations firms or those departments in other businesses. Because marketing is such a varied and comprehensive field, graduates can also find themselves working in a number of other business operations, such as sales and customer relations departments or doing promotional and public relations efforts by nonprofit organizations or government agencies.
Learn more about Marketing courses and how to pursue a major in Marketing through our catalog.
Assistant Professor of Marketing and Business
"Teaching at Mac provides me with an opportunity for continual learning and growth. One of my hopes as an educator is to instill a love of learning in my students as I share my own passion for learning with them. I too, like Albert Einstein, believe that 'intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.' It is my desire as an educator to help students meet their fullest potential."
- Areas of interest: Purnell enjoys studying how various marketing and management issues affect the entertainment industry. His other interests include music production, audio engineering, film production, multimedia content creation, and health/fitness.
- D.B.A. — Wilmington University (Fall 2017)
- M.S. in Organizational Management — Peru State College
- B.A.S. in Business Administration — Peru State College
- Courses taught: Principles of Marketing, Marketing Research, Consumer Behavior, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Social Media Marketing, Topics in Marketing, Business Communication