MacMurray College offers a well-rounded program in Business Administration with minors offered in accounting, marketing, management, and finance. Our goal is to prepare you for exciting careers in business.
As a Business major at MacMurray, you will gain exposure to key disciplines that matter to your success, such as business communication, human resources, marketing and advertising, international business, leadership and management, economics, accounting, finance, legal issues, and more.
- Opportunities for Students
Opportunities for Students
While at MacMurray, you will be expected to engage in a significant amount of "experiential learning," or hands-on work, either in the classroom or in businesses around Jacksonville and beyond.
Internships are a crucial part of your career preparation, and MacMurray students get job experience at local firms in the area, as well as at the state and even national level. MacMurray 2015 graduate Martin Lara, for example, held a summer internship in the budget office at the U.S. Department of Transportation in Washington, D.C.
The Business Administration Program will provide you with the foundation necessary for entry into a professional career or graduate study. Recent MacMurray graduates are working in a variety of exciting business fields, including insurance and financial planning, management, sales and marketing, banking, finance, and accounting to name a few.
Your workplace options cover the gamut: you can choose to work in an office individually or as part of a team, or you can embark on your own business venture.
Learn more about Business Administration courses and how to pursue a major or minor in Business Administration through our catalog.
- Business Administration Catalog Description
- Finance Catalog Description
- Management Catalog Description
- Business Administration Course Descriptions
- Finance Course Descriptions
- Management Course Descriptions
Lead Faculty for Business, Accounting, and Sport Management
Associate Professor of Business
"I love teaching at MacMurray, and I feel blessed to be able to work closely with my fellow Business faculty to create an awesome learning environment. We try to provide opportunities for students to learn practical skills to get them ready for meaningful work. I really enjoy getting to know my students on a personal level and being able to find ways to challenge them individually. I am excited about what our future holds as a Business Division and also campus-wide!"
- Areas of interest: Oberg's academic interests include: efficiency wage theory, minimum wage issues, active vs. passive investment management, and modern portfolio theory. He is a proud husband and father of five sons, and in his spare time he loves to play music, fish, and play golf.
- D.B.A. — Wilmington University (Expected SP 2018)
- M.B.A. — Ottawa University
- B.A. in Biblical Languages — Life Pacific College
- Courses taught: Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Money and Banking, Finance, Intermediate Finance, Investments
Associate Professor of Business
- Areas of interest: White is interested in examining organizational change strategies.
- M.B.A. — Emporia State University
- M.S. in Industrial Psychology — Emporia State University
- B.S. in Psychology — Marymount College
- Courses taught: Principles of Management, Business Strategy, Human Resource Management, Leadership and Cultural Environment of International Business
Dexter Purnell, D.B.A.
Assistant Professor of Marketing and Business
"Teaching at Mac provides me with an opportunity for continual learning and growth. One of my hopes as an educator is to instill a love of learning in my students as I share my own passion for learning with them. I too, like Albert Einstein, believe that 'intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.' It is my desire as an educator to help students meet their fullest potential."
- Areas of interest: Purnell enjoys studying how various marketing and management issues affect the entertainment industry. His other interests include music production, audio engineering, film production, multimedia content creation, and health/fitness.
- D.B.A. — Wilmington University
- M.S. in Organizational Management — Peru State College
- B.A.S. in Business Administration — Peru State College
- Courses taught: Principles of Marketing, Marketing Research, Consumer Behavior, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Social Media Marketing, Topics in Marketing, Business Communication