Skip to page content Skip to page menu Skip to page footer
Skip to page content Skip to page menu Skip to page footer Accessibility and access key information Home page Search Site map Employee directory Email the webmaster About MacMurray College Admission Academics Athletics Student/campus life Resources Alumni Giving
Search Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Current students, faculty, and staff can find a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions on My

Show all answers.

Cable Television

Q: How does campus cable work and what channels are available?

A: Please visit the Cable Television page for basic information on the cable television system and a list of available channels.

Q: Will my old analog television still receive channels?

A: The cable television system offers only digital channels. Old style, analog televisions will not work on the cable television system without a set top box.

Q: Can a laptop with a TV tuner installed be used to watch television?

A: Yes. Any tuner that can receive an HD or SD signal will work. There is no need to decode television digital signals as they are delivered using clear QAM.

Q: Do I need a converter box to receive the HD channels?

A: No, you do not need a converter box to receive the HD channels if you have an HD compatible television with a clear QAM tuner.

Q: What is the minimum hardware requirement to view HD channels in HD and which type of set works best?

A: The minimum hardware required to view HD channels is an HD-compatible television. Television sets should be purchased based on the user's preferences and needs. Users are encouraged to use the same consumer product resources they would when evaluating and purchasing other electronic equipment. IT staff do not evaluate television sets nor do they provide recommendations on which sets work best.

Q: Will a standard definition (SD) television set work with all HD channels?

A: No, HD programming can only be viewed on an HD-compatible television set.

Q: Will a DVR work with the cable television system?

A: If the tuner in your DVR supports signals transmitted in a QAM format, then it will be able to receive and record all of the digital and HD channels. (There is one exception with TiVo DVR. See "Will a TiVo DVR work with the cable television system?" below.)

Q: Will a TiVo DVR work with the cable television system?

A: Yes, it will, with one exception. The tuner in a TiVo DVR does not recognize channel numbers that have a dash or dot in the number such as 2.1, 4.1, 7.1, etc. The TiVo box will tune them in, but you will not be able to record future programs on these channels.

Computer Hardware

Q: What kind of computer should I bring to campus?

A: You may bring virtually any kind of computer to campus. Brands are not important. If you wish to connect to the campus network, you will want to make sure that you have a PC with Windows 7, 8, or 10 or a Macintosh with OS X. Our technicians are more familiar with supporting Windows PCs so service may be slightly faster for students with Windows-related issues.

Information Technology Services

Q: Will you fix my computer?

A: Our IT department staff will assist the campus community with network access issues or other problems directly related to MacMurray services only. For licensing and warranty reasons, our staff cannot service personal computer hardware or software.

If you are experiencing problems with your computer that are not related to MacMurray's network, there are a few options.

Note: These businesses are listed as a service to our students. MacMurray College does not endorse nor guarantee the quality of work or pricing from these businesses.

MacMurray Accounts

Q: I forgot or never received my username and/or password for one of my accounts. What do I need to do to gain access?

A: Contact the IT department for assistance.

Network Connectivity

Q: Can I bring my own wireless access point, router, or switch?

A: No. Routers, wireless access points, or any other devices that act as a DHCP server to generate IP addresses or allow multiple computers to access one connection are not allowed on the network. Any devices of this type discovered on our network are quarantined upon discovery, and the network port to which it is connected is disabled so that network traffic is not interrupted. Furthermore, anyone discovered to be using these devices will given a warning for the first offense and fined $50 for any recurring offenses.

Q: Can I bring a game console or handheld and connect it to the internet while on campus?

A: Yes; however, the nature of our network may interfere with some multi-player games.

At any given time, there are many hundreds of devices on the MacMurray College network accessing the Internet. Because we have a limited amount of public IP addresses, all of these devices must share. This process of translating from multiple on-campus addresses to the shared public address is called NAT (Network Address Translation). This is the same thing a home router does, only on a larger scale.

Game consoles recognize three NAT statuses.

  1. Open NAT: you're able to chat with other people, as well as join and host multiplayer games with people who have any NAT type on their network. Open NAT does not impede gaming, but it can be a security issue.
  2. Moderate NAT: you're able to chat and play multiplayer games with some people; however, you might not be able to hear or play with others, and normally you won't be chosen as a host in a game.
  3. Strict NAT: you're only able to chat and play multiplayer games with people who have an Open NAT type. You can't be chosen as a host in a game. Other restrictions may occur such as limited network connectivity and disabling of certain online functions.

At MacMurray College you will most likely see your console report a Strict NAT.

Unfortunately the NAT type cannot be changed or opened on campus. This is not due to a limitation placed by IT but by limitations of the consoles themselves, having been designed for a home network one-console-per-connection set up. A more open NAT type sends all traffic to a single console. With the large number of consoles sharing the campus Internet connection, it is not possible to improve on Strict NAT.

Turning on UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is commonly cited as a fix for this situation, but it is designed for consumer style home routers and does not work in large enterprise networks like that of MacMurray College.

Q: Does MacMurray College provide a network cable for my residence hall room?

A: No, MacMurray College does not provide network cables for students.