How Your Support Helps
It is a great time to be a Highlander! MacMurray College is progressing by leaps and bounds as we strive to maximize the positive effect that we can have on our students and build a position of strength for the future. Through a strategically planned investment approved by the Board of Trustees, freshman enrollment in 2011 was 40% higher than the previous year. The foundation of our liberal arts core curriculum, coupled with career-directed majors in fields such as nursing, education, business, and the sciences, provides students with an incredible competitive advantage in today's workforce and creates an unmatched opportunity for personal growth. Furthermore, the faculty at MacMurray are fully committed to the teaching and mentoring of students, creating a nurturing environment where everyone can succeed and thrive. According to the National Survey of Student Engagement, MacMurray seniors talk more with professors about their classes and careers than their peers around the country. Furthermore, 97% of education graduates and 93% of nursing graduates pass their state certification/board exams.
These strengths taken together create a tremendous amount of passion and energy around what we do here: transform the lives of our students.
Further investment is needed to carry this positive energy and momentum into the future. We rely on our friends, alumni, and partners to help support and improve our academic programs, facilities, and grounds. Just as past donors have generously supported previous generations of MacMurray students, please consider uniting your passions and resources with the Mission of MacMurray College.
The Annual Fund has been called the "lifeblood" of an institution because it helps pay the annual operating expenses and current programs. The smaller a college's endowment, the more an institution must raise for operating funds each year to balance the budget. Contributions to the Annual Fund are used for
- general campus maintenance;
- technological advancements;
- athletics and student recreation;
- student life programs;
- scholarships for deserving students;
- faculty and staff salaries;
- academic programs;
- teaching development;
- library expenses and purchases;
- other annual expenses.
Restricted Annual Funds
Contribute to specific needs. By restricting your gift to a certain program, department, building, or initiative, your gift is used to support the area about which you feel most passionate.
Capital Gifts include gifts that are restricted to the improvement of MacMurray's buildings, athletic facilities, and grounds. Like gifts to the endowment fund, there are many naming opportunities to recognize your philanthropic commitment to MacMurray College in the form of Capital Gifts.
The Endowment Fund reduces a college's dependence on the Annual Fund. Gifts given to the Endowment Fund are invested and the interest earned is used for institutional expenses and special projects. An endowed gift can be unrestricted or restricted as to how the interest will be used. There are many naming opportunities available for endowment gifts to recognize an individual's commitment to the College or to establish a memorial for a family member.
When you support student scholarships, you are transforming the lives of MacMurray College students by providing access to an exceptional liberal arts education that ignites a passion for learning. Support for scholarships can come in three forms.
- Establish a new named endowed scholarship. Endowed scholarships are scholarships that are awarded to recipients through the interest gained. An endowed scholarship creates a permanent legacy for MacMurray students. While gifts to an endowed scholarship fund remain untouched, a portion of the income earned from the fund finances student scholarships. The minimum to create a new named endowed scholarship is a current or future gift or pledge of $20,000.
- Give to an existing endowed scholarship. MacMurray College has many endowed scholarships that transform the lives of current students, and you can do the same by designating a gift of any size towards an existing endowed scholarship.
- Give to the MacMurray General Annual Scholarship Fund. If you do not have a specific scholarship you are interested in giving to but know that helping current Mac students through financial support is the best way to give back to Mac, then giving to the General Annual Scholarship Fund is the fund for you. Gifts of any size support annual scholarships for worthy and deserving students.
Contact the Institutional Advancement Office to learn more about transforming lives through the gift of a scholarship.