Skip to page content Skip to page menu Skip to page footer
Skip to page content Skip to page menu Skip to page footer Accessibility and access key information Home page Search Site map Employee directory Email the webmaster About MacMurray College Admission Academics Athletics Student/campus life Resources Alumni Giving
Search Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Show all answers.

Q: Who is eligible for federal financial aid at MacMurray College?

A: To be eligible for federal aid, you must be a US Citizen or eligible non-citizen, be a degree-seeking student enrolled at least part time (6 credit hours or more), and not be in default on a federal student loan.

Q: What is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

A: Students use the FAFSA to apply for federal student grants, work-study money, and loans to assist them in funding their college education. The application is also used for State of Illinois need-based grants and MacMurray College need-based funds.

Q: When should I fill out the FAFSA?

A: You should apply as soon as possible after January 1 at and no later than February 1 for optimal consideration of financial aid.

Q: What documents will I need to complete my FAFSA?

A: In order to complete the FAFSA, you and your parents will need your previous year federal tax records as well as untaxed income records, current bank account information, and investment records. If you have filed your taxes, you are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool on the FAFSA to obtain your tax information from the IRS.

Q: How do I answer questions if I have not yet filed a tax return?

A: If you haven't filed your tax return yet, choose "will file" for tax filing status. Once the taxes are complete, you must update the tax information for both parents and student on the FAFSA.

Q: My parents are separated or divorced. Which parent fills out the FAFSA?

A: The parent you lived with most during the last 12 months. If you didn't live with either parent, or if you lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent who provided most of your financial support.

Q: Do my step-parent's income and assets have to be reported on the FAFSA?

A: If the parent whose information you are reporting has married or remarried, you must include information about your step-parent.

Q: When is a student independent?

A: An independent student is one who meets at least one of the following conditions: 24 years old, military veteran, orphan or ward of the court, supports a child(ren), married, has been in foster care at any time since age 13, in legal guardianship, or unaccompanied or homeless youth.

Q: I live with my foster parents/aunt/uncle/grandparents. Do I include their information on the FAFSA?

A: No. A "parent" is defined as a biological or adoptive parent. A student should report the parental information of the parent who has provided the most parents support or the parent who provided the most support the last time support was given.

For all your other financial aid questions, please contact our office.

Helpful web resources: