Open Posting: HR: Payroll & Benefits Coordinator
Department: Business Office
Classification: Full time, Non-exempt
MacMurray College is an independent, four-year, residential, baccalaureate college with a strong liberal arts tradition located in the affordable, safe and stimulating city of Jacksonville, Illinois. For more than 170 years, MacMurray College has been committed to prepare graduates for satisfying and productive professional careers, providing the tools needed for effective leadership and encouraging individual growth throughout one’s education and future endeavors.
MacMurray College invites applications for the position of Payroll & Benefits Coordinator. The Payroll & Benefits Coordinator performs human resources-related duties and provides excellent customer service to internal and external customers in assigned areas including but not limited to: Payroll, Benefits, Compensation, FLSA Compliance, and implementation of job related policies and procedures in accordance with the mission, vision and core values of MacMurray College.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes Faculty, Staff, Hourly, and Student payrolls as scheduled, verifies the accuracy of wages and any deductions in payroll process, and maintains correct paperwork for payroll updates and/or changes.
- Reviews payroll to ensure accuracy and prepares related journal entries.
- Reviews online timesheets, including breaks and overtime; monitors and tracks employee use of benefit time-off including holiday, vacation, sick leave, personal and leaves of absence.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state and local regulations and laws.
- Processes all new employee paperwork, including verification of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Provides orientation to new employees regarding payroll and benefit programs.
- Processes benefit enrollments, terminations and changes. Coordinates and updates payroll deductions related to any benefit updates/changes.
- Verifies accuracy of invoices for all benefit programs, including employee deductions, fringe benefits, and credits or corrections needed.
- Manages the student work program process including but not limited to: reviewing position descriptions, maintaining available job postings, verifying student eligibility for work study and that all required tax forms and documents are completed.
- Responds to college administration and employee inquiries in a timely manner regarding payroll and benefits information and works to resolve payroll and benefits concerns.
- Completes verifications of employment, unemployment and disability requests for information.
- Maintains employee payroll files and coordinates personnel file information.
- Ensures that up-to-date position descriptions are maintained for each staff position.
- Assists in design of performance evaluation process and coordinates annual performance evaluation reviews.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding personnel actions and/or performance issues.
- Assists Director of Human Resources with wage and benefits analysis.
- Prepares monitoring and compliance reports as needed.
- Assists in the preparation of year-end payroll and the annual W-2 process.
- Compiles and prepares reports for various Academic entities within specified deadlines.
- Works with Director of Human Resources to respond to employee complaints and works with staff to resolve conflicts.
- Assists Director of HR in maintaining and updating Employee Policy Handbook as needed.
- Acts as Human Resources liaison between staff and administrators.
- Other duties as assigned that are reasonably within the scope of this position.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university/college; or equivalent of five to seven years’ experience required
- Minimum of two years of payroll processing experience preferred; experience with Human Resources or Benefits a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity with applicable federal, state and local laws pertinent to benefits administration, including but not limited to FMLA, ADA, ERISA, COBRA, HIPPA, Section 125, Defined Contribution Plans.
- Understanding and knowledge in employment law, compensation, unemployment, worker’s compensation, etc.
- Ability to establish and maintain highly effective working relationships with mangers, supervisors, co-workers, customers and others encountered in the course of work.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Outlook; proficiency in payroll processing systems; ability and willingness to learn new software and web-based programs
- High level of skill in handling sensitive and confidential situations and information with the demonstrated ability to maintain high level of discretion and confidentiality with the utmost integrity
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Self-starter; able to manage time and meet deadlines with little supervision; can multi-task and adjust to changing priorities while maintaining proficiency and accuracy
- Ability to support team members with varying roles and personalities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding professional courtesy and manner with all external and internal contacts
- Exemplary attendance and punctuality
MacMurray College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age physical or mental disability or covered veteran status. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The College will not sponsor applicants for work visas. Interested applicants may send a brief cover letter describing your interest in this position, a résumé outlining your qualification for the position, and contact information including e-mail addresses for three professional references. Any finalist for the position must successfully pass a background screening. Applications will be reviewed immediately. All materials should be sent to: HR@mac.edu
Deadline to Apply: August 9, 2019