Open Posting: IT: Technology Resource Specialist
Department: Information Technology
Classification: Full time, Non-exempt
MacMurray College is an independent, four-year, residential, baccalaureate college with a strong liberal arts tradition located in the affordable, safe and stimulating city of Jacksonville, Illinois. For more than 170 years, MacMurray College has been committed to prepare graduates for satisfying and productive professional careers, providing the tools needed for effective leadership and encouraging individual growth throughout one’s education and future endeavors.
MacMurray College invites applications for the position of Technology Resource Specialist. The Technology Resource Specialist is responsible for end-user technology support and works with other Information Technology staff to provide creative solutions to problems with campus technology infrastructure, learning technology, computing devices and associated peripherals, media presentation technology, and telecommunications systems. This position provides technical support for students, faculty, staff, and guests of MacMurray College.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifies and tests new solutions to improve the efficiency of existing business processes.
- Provides technical support for campus customers via various modes of communication.
- Specifies, selects, configures, and connects college-owned desktops, laptops, mobile devices, printers, display equipment, imaging equipment, telephones, network equipment, and other peripheral equipment.
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses, and resolves hardware and software technical issues with college-owned desktops, laptops, or mobile devices.
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves technical issues with learning, presentation, printing, imaging, cable TV, and telecommunications technologies.
- Creates, tests, and deploys operating system images and software packages on college-owned desktops, laptops and mobile devices.
- Performs regular maintenance on college-owned desktops, laptops, mobile devices, printers, display equipment, and other peripheral equipment.
- Writes and maintains scripts to automate IT and customer business processes.
- Maintains and assists in the operation of pre-installed campus media presentation systems.
- Sets up, tears down, and assists in the operation of portable campus media presentation systems.
- Updates the technology asset inventory as equipment is added or removed from service.
- Periodically audits technology asset inventory information to reconcile inventory data with currently deployed and stored equipment.
- Organizes and provides support for relocating deployed IT equipment due to situations such as office moves or physical plant construction/repairs.
- Arranges storage or disposal of technology equipment according to department and college guidelines.
- Assists with network, server, and Active Directory administration as needed.
- Other duties as assigned that are reasonably within the scope of this position.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the field of computer science, management information systems, or related discipline. An equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable.
- At least 3 years of experience in a technical role is preferred.
- Experience providing technical support to customers, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, and developing creative solutions to technology challenges.
- Technical experience in two or more of the following areas required:
- Recent and current versions of the Windows and/or macOS operating systems
- Recent and current versions of the Microsoft Office Suite, both installed and cloud-based
- Hardware and software system diagnostics
- Installation and support of audio and/or video delivery systems
- Microsoft Windows Server administration
- Active Directory administration
- Data network administration.
- Industry certifications, such as A+, CCNA, MCSA, etc., preferred, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skilled at troubleshooting and diagnosing complex hardware and software problems.
- Extensive knowledge of computer hardware components and their interoperation.
- Extensive knowledge of application software installation, operations, and maintenance concepts.
- Strong organizational, time management, and project coordination skills.
- Ability to manage assigned IT trouble tickets and successfully resolve incidents in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to fully complete tasks while ensure customer satisfaction.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills; ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the many constituencies of the College.
- Ability to write and maintain documentation and procedures.
- Highly self-motivated, yet able to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to take direction, understand complex technical instructions, and solve complex problems.
- Must exhibit a positive, collaborative, service-oriented attitude.
- Must have the ability to work calmly and professionally with customers at all levels of the organization, while managing multiple priorities.
- Ability to learn new technologies via computer-based training, reading documentation, or hands-on training.
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds regularly
MacMurray College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age physical or mental disability or covered veteran status. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The College will not sponsor applicants for work visas. Interested applicants may send a brief cover letter describing your interest in this position, a résumé outlining your qualification for the position, and contact information including e-mail addresses for three professional references. Any finalist for the position must successfully pass a background screening. Applications will be reviewed immediately. All materials should be sent to: HR@mac.edu