Open Posting: Library: Public Service Librarian
Classification: Exempt, Full time
MacMurray College is an independent, four-year, residential, baccalaureate college with a strong liberal arts tradition located in the affordable, safe and stimulating city of Jacksonville, Illinois. For more than 170 years, MacMurray College has been committed to prepare graduates for satisfying and productive professional careers, providing the tools needed for effective leadership and encouraging individual growth throughout one’s education and future endeavors.
MacMurray College invites applications for the position of Public Service Librarian. The Public Service Librarian is primarily responsible for the planning and delivery of public services responsive to the needs of the College. This position will also share Information Literacy instruction duties with the Director of the Library.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, promote, and assess the information literacy program.
- Primary duty of an Instructor is imparting knowledge by teaching, instructing or lecturing student in a course or field of study at an educational establishment.
- Provide research assistance including face-to-face, online, orientations and classroom instruction
- Prepare library resource guides, using LibGuide software, for faculty and student use.
- Maintain online presence components (i.e. website, Moodle, Facebook, Twitter).
- Cultivate and maintain relationships and provide outreach to academic departments and co-curricular units.
- Participate in College governance and service.
- Participate in workshops, classes, and conferences as needed to ensure professional expertise remains current.
- Share responsibility for collection development; participate in the selection and management of digital resources and equipment.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of the Library in evaluating services, policy development, budget management, and improvements to the library’s operation.
- In the absence of the Director of the Library, is responsible for the operation and representation of the Library.
- Assist with the coverage of night and weekend services as needed.
- Other duties as assigned that are reasonably within the scope of this position.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science from an ALA accredited program
- 1-3 years’ experience in an academic library, preferably in library instruction
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook).
- Strong service orientation
- Excellent engagement and presentation skills
- Ability to learn new software programs.
- Excellent customer service.
MacMurray College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age physical or mental disability or covered veteran status. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The College will not sponsor applicants for work visas. Interested applicants may send a brief cover letter describing your interest in this position, a résumé outlining your qualification for the position, and contact information including e-mail addresses for three professional references. Any finalist for the position must successfully pass a background screening and provide official transcripts. Applications will be reviewed immediately. All materials should be sent to: HR@mac.edu