Open Posting: Faculty: Adjunct Instructor-Writing/Composition
Classification: Part time, Salaried
MacMurray College is an independent, four-year, residential, baccalaureate college with a strong liberal arts tradition located in the affordable, safe, and stimulating city of Jacksonville, Illinois. For more than 170 years, MacMurray College has been committed to prepare graduates for satisfying and productive professional careers, providing the tools needed for effective leadership and encouraging individual growth throughout one’s education and future endeavors.
MacMurray College invites applications for the position of Adjunct Instructor of Writing/Composition for the Fall 2019 semester to teach basic composition (Comp 131) to first-year students. Courses are designed to prepare students for academic writing, research, and public speaking. The course will also include grammar review, report and argument writing, and APA-style documentation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course's standard course outline as a guide. Develop course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, labs, and presentations.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
- Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree from an accredited university/college.
- Collegiate-level teaching experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and interest in student engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively teach course work.
- Clear commitment to working in an undergraduate liberal arts environment.
- Ability to work as a member of an energetic academic team.
MacMurray College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The College will not sponsor applicants for work visas. Interested applicants may send a brief cover letter describing your interest in this position, a CV/résumé outlining your qualification for the position, and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Any finalist for the position must successfully pass a background screening. Applications will be reviewed immediately. All materials should be sent to HR@mac.edu.