During the Internship
Internships are about learning a new skill, gaining knowledge, and applying course work to the real-world. You will also begin building your network, practicing professionalism, and discovering more about your interests and career ambitions.
Meeting in the classroom will allow interns to reflect on stories and learnings with peers and their instructor. Interns will keep a journal for reflection and tracking of hours.
Internships lead to full-time employment in your field.
- The Gallup-Purdue Index, a recognized national survey collection group, found that approximately 63% of students either interned or had a job related to their field in 2016.
- Approximately 33% of students do two more more internships.
- Nearly 87% of 2016-17 fall and spring MacMurray College graduates completed an internship.
- Two-thirds of Fall 16 MacMurray College graduates with full-time employment in their field participated in an internship.
- Students may enroll in an internship beginning the second semester of their sophomore year.
- Build your resume.
- Be more competitive in the job market.
- Have a better understanding of your field.
- Gain real-world experience.
Prepare and Find an Internship
- Develop your résumé and have it reviewed by Career Services staff.
- Meet with your adviser to check on graduation and program requirements.
- Meet with Career Services staff to ensure that you create or choose a well-developed internship aligned with your goals.
- Go online to MacConnect or the Career Services Guide to view internship opportunties.
The Internship Registration Form includes
- Student Information;
- Course/Internship Information;
- Learning and Goals Statement;
- Internship Agreement.
- log into My Mac.edu;
- click on the Student tab;
- click on the Career Services folder;
- click on the Internship Forms page.
Student advisers, the Office of Career Services, and One-Stop Student Services must approve your form.
- Jacksonville Area Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Pathway Services
- Passavant Hospital
- Jacksonville Area Center for Independent Living
- The Salvation Army
- Dot Foods
- Mercy Communities
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- North Greene Jr. High School
- Pana Community Hospital
- Memorial Hospital
- Illinois Emergency Management Agency
- Springfield Park District
- State Bank of Arthur
- Pike County Memorial Hospital
- Cedar Hurst Assisted Living and Memory Care
- Paris Community Hospital
- Carrollton Bank
- Blessing Hospital
- Applied Systems
- Prairie City Rehab and Health Care
- Residence Inn by Marriott
- Community Case Management and Research
- Human Resources Onboarding
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Gerontological Psychology
- Portfolio Assistant
- Loan Processing
- Football Operations
- Recycling and Sustainability Project
- Non-Profit Marketing
- Junior High Baseball Coaching
- Wine Chemistry Project
- Community Outreach
- Residential Associate
- Sales and Marketing
- Service Operations
- Staff Accountant
- Event Coordination
"My experience with MacMurray College students has been beneficial and helpful for both the Residence Inn and the student. I feel it has given the students a good insight in the area of business administration."
Residence Inn by Marriott
"The best part of doing an internship was learning real skills that help me in my job field and really learning about my career path. I fell in love with the hospitality industry, and this internship helped me determine what I want to do with my life."
Andrew Frazier '16
Residence Inn by Marriott
"We enjoy having new ideas and a new prospective on the work being done. It has been great to work with interns who are enthusiastic about learning and developing in the workplace."