Students interested in applying for financial aid at MacMurray College should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at https://fafsa.ed.gov/. This will supply our office with all the necessary information to get started planning students' financial aid packages. Eligibility for the following programs is determined each year based on FAFSA results: Pell Grant, FSEOG, Federal Work Study, Federal Direct Loans, State of Illinois MAP Grant and MacMurray College Grant.

The application is available for the upcoming academic year on October 1. The preferential application filing date is November 1; however, applications are accepted after that date. Please be aware that some funds, such as State of Illinois and some institutional need-based grant funding, are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

MacMurray's Title IV school code is 001717. Be sure to list us on your FAFSA!

To see a preview of the questions that you may be asked while completing the FAFSA, check out the latest FAFSA on the Web worksheet.

Recently, there were two major changes put in place to make the FAFSA process easier.

  1. You'll be able to submit your FAFSA earlier. You can file your FAFSA as early as October 1, rather than beginning on January 1. The earlier submission date will be a permanent change. Filing the FAFSA sooner will give you an earlier indication of how much your family is expected to contribute, which will help with budgeting for the upcoming school year.
  2. You'll use earlier income and tax information. Students will be required to report income and tax information from an earlier tax year. This change will make the FAFSA easier because you'll already have done your taxes by the time you fill out your FAFSA, and you may be able to automatically import your tax information into your FAFSA. To learn how to transfer tax information, visit the Federal Student Aid website or view the infographic below.

    Infographic explaining the FAFSA tax information transfer.


The US Department of Education requires that MacMurray College verify the accuracy of the applications of selected new and continuing financial aid recipients.

If a student's application is selected for verification, the student and/or parents must submit either a signed copy of their federal tax return or a tax return transcript from the IRS to verify the tax data submitted on the FAFSA. Additional information is required on the worksheet, such as household size and the number of family members in college. Students and parents who did not file federal taxes will be required to complete a non-tax filer statement and submit any W-2s as applicable.

If corrections are necessary due to the verification process, awards may be revised and eligibility recalculated. Please contact One-Stop Student Services with any questions or for assistance.

Note: No financial aid can be disbursed to the student until all requested documents necessary for verification are submitted and reviewed.

Federal Work Study

Students who receive financial aid may qualify for Federal Work Study jobs on campus for which state minimum wage is paid. Students can work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. Earnings are not directly credited to charges, but paid to students in bi-weekly payroll checks.

For more information about Federal Work Study, visit the Department of Education's Federal Work Study page.

Questions about Federal Work Study at MacMurray should be directed to One-Stop Student Services.


Show all answers.

Q: Who is eligible for federal financial aid at MacMurray College?

A: To be eligible for federal aid, you must be a US Citizen or eligible non-citizen, be a degree-seeking student enrolled at least part-time (6 credit hours or more) and not be in default on a federal student loan.

Q: What is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

A: Students use the FAFSA to apply for federal student grants, work-study money and loans to assist them in funding their college education. The application is also used for State of Illinois need-based grants and MacMurray College need-based funds.

Q: When should I fill out the FAFSA?

A: You should apply as soon as possible after October 1 at www.fafsa.gov and no later than February 1 for optimal consideration of financial aid.

Q: What documents will I need to complete my FAFSA?

A: In order to complete the FAFSA, you and your parents will need your previous year federal tax records as well as untaxed income records, current bank account information and investment records. If you have filed your taxes, you are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool on the FAFSA to obtain your tax information from the IRS.

Q: How do I answer questions if I have not yet filed a tax return?

A: If you haven't filed your tax return yet, choose "will file" for tax filing status. Once the taxes are complete, you must update the tax information for both parents and student on the FAFSA.

Q: My parents are separated or divorced. Which parent fills out the FAFSA?

A: The parent you lived with most during the last 12 months. If you didn't live with either parent, or if you lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent who provided most of your financial support.

Q: Do my step-parent's income and assets have to be reported on the FAFSA?

A: If the parent whose information you are reporting has married or remarried, you must include information about your step-parent.

Q: When is a student independent?

A: An independent student is one who meets at least one of the following conditions: 24 years old, military veteran, orphan or ward of the court, supports a child(ren), married, has been in foster care at any time since age 13, in legal guardianship, or unaccompanied or homeless youth.

Q: I live with my foster parents/aunt/uncle/grandparents. Do I include their information on the FAFSA?

A: No. A "parent" is defined as a biological or adoptive parent. A student should report the parental information of the parent who has provided the most parents support or the parent who provided the most support the last time support was given.

For all your other financial aid questions, please contact our office.

Helpful web resources: