Open Posting: Faculty: Assistant Professor of Nursing
Department: Nursing Program
Classification: Exempt, Full time
MacMurray College is an independent, four-year, residential, baccalaureate college with a strong liberal arts tradition located in the affordable, safe, and stimulating city of Jacksonville, Illinois. For more than 170 years, MacMurray College has been committed to prepare graduates for satisfying and productive professional careers, providing the tools needed for effective leadership and encouraging individual growth throughout one’s education and future endeavors.
MacMurray College invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Nursing to start August 2018. The successful candidate will have experience and the ability to teach mental health aspects of nursing. Tenure status (tenure-track or non-tenure) is to be determined or negotiated with the qualified candidate. All applicants must be highly motivated to work with a diverse population of students and have a commitment to the College’s mission and core values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course's standard course outline as a guide. Develop course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, labs, and presentations.
- Participate in program level learning assessment. Participation includes helping articulate learning outcomes, choosing and administering measures, evaluating student performance, and suggesting changes to improve student learning.
- Work with other faculty and administrators in developing program curriculum, standards, and policies, including reviewing and participating in textbook selection process where appropriate.
- Schedule, supervise, debrief, and evaluate students in clinical, internship, observation, field experience, and similar settings as appropriate for the course or program.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
- Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times.
- Professional Development
- Participate in summative and formative faculty evaluation process.
- Remain current in academic or program discipline, including maintaining licensure, certification, or continuing education requirements where appropriate.
- Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning.
- Participate in college professional development activities.
- Service to the College
- Help students identify and achieve their educational goals through participating in the College's advising process, as well as providing incidental academic advice to students in classes.
- Post and keep on-campus hours to facilitate interaction with students, other faculty, staff, administrators, and the public.
- Serve on standing ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, or as a student organization advisor.
- Attend local, regional, state, or national meetings where required or necessary for the discipline.
- Mentor and assist in orienting new faculty, either formally or informally where appropriate or required by department or division.
- Attend commencement or other ceremonies appropriate to the faculty member's discipline or program.
- Attend departmental, divisional, and college-wide meetings where appropriate or as required by supervisor.
- Perform other academically-related duties as assigned that are reasonably within the scope of this position.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Nursing from an accredited university/college; Ph.D. preferred and needed for tenure.
- Minimum of two or more years experience in teaching and clinical nursing practice.
- Experience as a practitioner in a mental health unit or other facility preferred.
- Experience with intake/assessment of patients with mental health symptoms preferred.
- Current Licensure or eligibility to attain licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and interest in student engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively teach course work.
- Clear commitment to working in an undergraduate liberal arts environment.
- Ability to work as a member of an energetic academic team.
MacMurray College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The College will not sponsor applicants for work visas. Interested applicants may send a brief cover letter describing your interest in this position, curriculum vitae outlining your qualification for the position, along with your teaching philosophy and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Any finalist for the position must successfully pass a background screening. Official transcripts will be required of candidates who are interviewed. Applications will be reviewed immediately. All materials should be sent to HR@mac.edu.