The Athletic Department and the Center for Learning Assistance have developed a program to support student-athletes. The Athlete Student Support In Success Training (ASSIST) Program required time was developed and organized in order to provide athletes with a specific, structured time for studying and completing assignments that are necessary for them to succeed as students. The main focus of the program is to help student-athletes develop consistent and appropriate study patterns by providing a setting to work on course work, as well as receive tutorial assistance before problems arise and eligibility is in jeopardy. We know athletics requires a great deal of their time and focus, so we provide to you, free of charge, this program which includes professional and peer tutoring, study groups, workshops, homework advice, and mentoring. This will help you be more effective and efficient with your courses.
The required study hours of the MacASSIST Program are laid out below.
- All first-semester freshman and transfer student-athletes are required to participate in our MacASSIST Program for a minimum of four (4) hours per week until semester grade evaluation. At that time, grades will be reviewed, and the sliding scale for returning athletes will be used to determine required hours.
- All returning athletes will follow the sliding scale below for required hours (3.5-4.0 have no required time):
GPA Number of Hours in CLE 3.0 - 3.5 1 hour per week 2.5 - 2.99 3 hours Below 2.5 4 hours
- Tutoring Time: Any athlete receiving tutoring will receive double CLE time. For example, ½ of tutoring = 1 hour of CLE time. This time must be spent on continuous academic focus as verified by CLE staff.
- Exception: If an athlete has a FLAG, they must receive tutoring and/or attend a study group until the FLAG is lifted at the regular required CLE time.
- Workshops: Each semester the CLE will be presenting a variety of workshops on topics related to student success.
- Log Report: A report of athletes' logged time in the CLE will be automatically generated every Friday at 5 p.m. and emailed to the Athletic Director and coaches.
Last updated: May 1, 2013