Hall of Fame Criteria
In order for the traditions of the past to benefit the programs of the future, the MacMurray College Department of Athletics instituted an Athletic Hall of Fame in 1988. Selection of the inductees was transferred from the Athletic Department to the Alumni Association Board in October 2010.
To recognize individuals who have distinguished themselves in the field of intercollegiate athletics at MacMurray College, either by virtue of their performances on athletic teams representing the College, or by meritorious efforts on behalf of the athletic program or the College.
- The nominee must be of good character and have demonstrated commendable citizenship both during their career as a MacMurray College student-athlete and since leaving the College.
- To be eligible for nomination, an individual's last year of competition must have occurred five (5) years prior to being nominated. Current athletic administrators, coaches, and friends are qualified for nomination so long as they meet the criteria established below.
- Individuals can be selected posthumously, and this qualification would supersede guidelines outlined in qualification No. 2.
All nominees must meet one (1) or more of the following criteria:
- Team Captain;
- Most Valuable Player;
- All American;
- All Region/District;
- All Conference;
- multiple sport "star";
- exhibited leadership in athletic participation;
- demonstrated the ability to be a true educator to student-athletes;
- exhibited concern for student-athletes both on and off the field;
- contributed to the MacMurray College athletic program in an outstanding way;
- supportive of some aspect of the athletic program over an extended period of time.
Nominations may come from those individuals or groups interested in MacMurray College Athletics. Former student-athletes and current supporters of the athletic program are strongly encouraged to nominate individuals for consideration as inductees into the MacMurray College Hall of Fame.
Required Nomination Information
- Nominator's complete name.
- Nominator's email address.
- Nominator's phone number.
- Nominator's address including city, state, and zip code.
- Name of nominee.
- Please briefly state why the nominee is worthy of consideration for induction into the MacMurray College Athletic Hall of Fame.
- If the nominee is a former MacMurray College student-athlete, please provide the student-athletes graduation class year, the sport or sports participated in, and comments concerning the student-athletes competitive prowess.
- Please state examples of the nominee's leadership and support of or involvement in MacMurray College Athletics.
- Please state examples of the nominee's leadership and support of or involvement in community activities.
- Comments which you feel will be beneficial when considering the qualifications of your nominee.
Deadline for Nominations
- The Awards Committee accepts nominations by February 2, studies the nominations based on the established criteria, and makes a decision as to the acceptance or refusal of each nomination to the Hall of Fame.
- Nominations must be in the hands of the Committee by February 2 for consideration this year.
The Alumni Board's Awards Committee will thoroughly consider all timely nominations and will determine the inductees for a given year. Nominees receiving a majority vote in favor of induction from the selection committee will be inducted. No more than four (4) nominees will be inducted in one (1) year. Should no one meet the criteria, the Committee may decide not to hold an induction ceremony.
The selection committee is made up of the following individuals: the Alumni Board Awards Committee, Director of Athletics, and the Senior Woman Administrator.
The Awards Committee recognizes that special circumstances may prevent an individual from meeting the criteria listed above. With this, the Committee will entertain the nomination of such individuals who epitomize ideal characteristics for inclusion into the MacMurray College Hall of Fame but who do not meet the established criteria or qualifications.
Special Items to Note
- Nominations may be made at any time but must be received by February 2, so that the Committee may adjudicate and make recommendations, that inductees may be advised and arrangements may be made for the celebration of the inductees during Homecoming week.
- The Awards Committee will not consider nominations which do not meet their criteria. Consequently, to avoid disappointing your nominee and embarrassing yourself, you should not discuss the matter with him/her.
Please send all nomination material to
Office of Alumni Services
447 East College Avenue
Jacksonville, Illinois 62650-2590
If you have any questions, please contact the Athletic Director at 217-479-7142 or the Alumni Director at 217-479-7030.