The groundbreaking ceremony was held on December 14, 1956 with the first shovel going in the ground at 3:30 pm. Taking part in the ceremony were Laurence Oxley, Chairman of the building and grounds committee of the Board of Trustees; Hugh Gibson, builder; Mayor Ernst Hoagland; Harold Anderson, president of the Chamber; and Delores Buchler, president of the student body. The three-story structure was designed to house 100 students and cost $500,000 to build.
It opened in the fall of 1957 as the first male dorm. A dedication ceremony was held on October 25, 1957. The building was named after Mrs. Ira (Mary) Harktner Blackstock, a donor and trustee of the College.
Blackstock House went off-line in 2003.
Once the building is taken down, work will begin immediately to create a park in that corner of campus.
Blackstock residents 1966
Blackstock second floor residents 1978