Jacksonville, IL is a stimulating college community of about 25,000 within easy driving distance of St. Louis and Chicago.
Mission statement: The mission of MacMurray College is to transform the lives of our students by providing an exceptional, liberal arts general education and courses of study that prepare graduates for professional careers, further education, and other challenges facing the human community in the 21st century.
- Founded in 1846 in the Methodist tradition.
- Accredited since 1908 by The Higher Learning Commission, North Central Association of Colleges & Schools, Chicago, IL.
- Friendly campus with more than 550 students.
- 55% residential.
- 21% ethnically diverse.
- A wide range of student-led organizations from fraternities and sororities to academic, religious, cultural, service, and recreational organizations — students can create their own.
- 13-1 student-faculty ratio.
- 96% of classes have fewer than 30 students; no class has more than 40 students.
- a core curriculum designed for personal and professional success;
- majors that prepare graduates for entry into their professions;
- employment opportunities — 92% of 2013 graduates reported being employed full-time or accepted into graduate school within a year of graduation;
- popular areas of study: nursing, criminal justice and homeland security, business, American Sign Language interpreting, and social and behavioral sciences.
- annual full-time tuition $22,900;
- 98% of students receive scholarships or grants.
- higher student-faculty interaction;
- a more supportive campus environment;
- greater collaborative learning;
- more engagement in learning communities, service learning, and internships or other field experience;
- better likelihood to discuss their academic performance and career plans with an instructor;
- better likelihood to discuss ideas and concepts outside of class;
- more engagement with faculty members on activities other than coursework, such as committees or student groups;
- more involvement in community learning, such as service learning:
- 98% reported they had participated in two or more service learning activities, such as research projects with faculty, internships, field experiences, or other remote learning opportunities;
- 95% reported taking part in service learning;
- 90% of seniors reported having completed or planned an internship, field experience, or other professional learning experience.
- 42% of students participated in athletics in 2012-13.
- 63 All-Conference athletes, 69 Academic All-Conference athletes in the past four years; men's basketball conference Player of the Year in 2013-14.
- The first SLIAC Student-Athlete Advisory Council Community Service Award from the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
- 10 athletic teams: football, basketball (mw), volleyball (w), baseball, softball, golf (mw), soccer (mw).
MacMurray was named a College of Distinction for 2014-15. The designation, by the organization of the same name, seeks to identify colleges and universities in the country that provide the best atmosphere for students to learn, grow, and succeed.
MacMurray's distinctive education provides
Top 20% of affordability among private colleges in Illinois:
MacMurray is a yellow ribbon school, giving special help to veterans, and, for the fourth year in a row, it was designated a Military Friendly School, which honors the top 20% of colleges, universities, and trade schools in the country that are doing the most to embrace America's military service members, veterans, and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus.
In the 2013 biennial National Survey of Student Engagement in which more than 364,000 students at 613 colleges and universities participate, MacMurray seniors reported significantly